Stop right now. If you have asked followers to “turn on notifications” go delete it right now.
Asking people to turn on their post notification for your profile does nothing when it comes to the changes on Instagram and it’s not effective. While people don’t like change, I truly do believe as long as you understand the change you will really be able to rock this change as a small business or blogger.
If you ask followers to turn on post notifications you won’t see it right away anyway because if they are doing this for 100 brands – let’s stop and think, it’s like getting constant messages from all of those brands and your home screen will blow up. Who needs a drained battery anyway? Instead of focusing on telling those to turn on their post notifications, you can take the time on making this change better for your brand and think of other ways to get your followers to engage. This goes along with why you shouldn’t also NOT just focus on one social media outlet. Focus on them all! In the meantime, what can I be focusing on during this change?
Instagram told the Wall Street Journal that in addition to likes, comments, and searches, Instagram will evaluate users’ “relationship with the person posting and the timeliness of the post” to decide what will show at the top of the newsfeed so I would make sure you are 100% engaging as much as you can!! Have a genuine relationship with your followers and it won’t be a big deal for you. That is my biggest advice — as always, ENGAGE, ENGAGE, ENGAGE! I talked about this a lot in my resource guide which you can download here.
social media performance on Instagram. You will truly be able to do some great market research with this change. Instagram is not like Facebook when it comes to singling your brand out as a brand. A profile is a profile on Instagram unlike Facebook where a brand is a brand and a person is a person – on Instagram, it’s just a regular profile feed.Why should you be excited about the change and what’s next for brands?
- You will be able to see what posts do well and which posts don’t so you can create content around those that do well. Market research at your finger tips gals!
- This is a great way to remind yourself to get started on pushing those newsletter sign-ups. Grow your other social outlets. Do not put all your eggs in one basket! Get people to sign-up for your newsletters because you have complete control over those and who you are sending them to.
- Content is key! Make sure you are focusing on quality of your post. Be more careful about what you post on your feed.
- Encourage people to engage with your pictures and you do the same! You will want to make sure you are commenting, liking and really engaging with anyone you want to see in your feed.
- Comment back. Talk back! Keep the conversation going. Always, always, always comment back. I talked about engagement in my resource guide and I would strongly suggest downloading it now! Always say thank you. I know this is hard but engagement really is key and commenting back even just to say thank you does matter.
- Always post content that your followers will want to engage with because content really does matter, just like engagement. Think about things before you post. Make sure you post content that you know will get engagement and your followers will want to see.
- Think about your target audience as always. This will be so important because you will need to make sure you are creating organic content for your followers. This has been talked about many times if you’ve followed me and I always stress how important it is to have organic content for your brand. Quality content, not quantity. If you post 5-6 times a day but only 4 of those posts do well, use that as market research for your brand to make sure it’s all about quality engagement. If you can’t produce quality, organic content then go down to a number of posts where it can be very relevant to your brand.
- Always understands your audience and know what is relevant to them. The best part about this change is Instagram will now help you see what your best post is and what is doing best engagement wise with this change.
- Make sure you like the content you want to see and encourage others to do the same. You will see the content you like the most at the top so click that heart button more! This will make it easier to see the things you want to see so encourage your followers to do the same in an organic way. For example, a great way to use this to your advantage is, “Tag a friend in the comments! Once we get to 2,000 likes we will give everyone $5 off their entire order.” Another example could be, “Tag a friend below and have them like this photo! Once we get to 1,000 likes we will be launching the new product and be doing a giveaway!” Think outside of the box on ways to get more likes and use this new change for the best.
- Hashtags will be less saturated and more relevant as will the explore page so let’s get an AMEN!
As for timing — don’t freak out. It’s not happening tomorrow or today. There is no timeline so just take a deep breathe as it takes time to roll out these changes since the change has a lot to do with data and the user profiles.
Please take a second to share this with all of your friends so they can also relax and embrace this change! My friends over at E&J Active made this AMAZING graphic so feel free to share it on your feeds too.